Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify | RSS
On this episode of The Vonu Podcast, I welcome @SamouraiWallet (Twitter), a co-founder of the bitcoin privacy wallet, Samourai.
Herein, we learn about SW’s long background/history working in bitcoin, the cypherpunk/vonuan origins & maintenance of Samourai, Whirlpool, CoinJoins, Coin Control, & other features of the wallet, TxTenna & off-grid bitcoin…
And in general, how these bitcoin privacy tools can help to make you more invulnerable to coercion.
- Samourai/SW recounts his history in bitcoin starting in 2012/2013, and the concerns he & his co-founder started to develop in 2015 that led to the creation of the wallet
- How to think about bitcoin on-chain privacy; the pseudonymity worked early on, but now that identity is attached, it’s problematic
- SW talks a bit about the vonuan/cypherpunk (non-)business model of Samourai; based on international mobility, a lifestyle of security
- SW provides an overview on the Wasabi blacklist situation, and perspectives on why zkSnacks would preemptively comply with a non-existing law/regulation (hint: compliant CoinJoins)
- What to expect when you download Samourai Wallet; more privacy protections by default, even if you only use it as a wallet
- CoinJoins, and the importance of not linking pre- and post-mix coins; coin control within Samourai Wallet
- A walkthrough of Whirlpool, the various pools, & the automation of the rest of the process; breaks all deterministic links, free remixing
- Sparrow Wallet: a desktop wallet that implemented Whirlpool
- A potential use for toxic bitcoin change: swapping (atomic when possible) for XMR…and don’t forget about BitRefill gift cards!
- Tor implementation
- Ricochet (adds hops of history between your coin and the final destination)
- PayNyms (stealth addresses in bitcoin) — a pseudonym to receive bitcoin at, that generates a new wallet address each time
- Stonewall & Stonewall x2’s (minimizes amount of deterministic links — a fake CoinJoin from a general spend)
- SW’s general take and outlook on the bitcoin space
- Bitcoin as an amazing tool to route around the First Realm, the servile society; early on, that was who was into it…that’s not how it is now
- SW: The Lightning Network as a capture event for bitcoin, if it’s successful at all; a permissioned layer
- Connecting to their Whirlpool servers vs. running your own node; the RoninDojo
- GoTenna, TxTenna, Samourai Wallet, & off-grid bitcoin
- Any advice or tips he has pertaining to bitcoin, privacy, or self-liberation
- The Bitcoin Privacy Video Series by the Samourai Team
- Read and learn (Samourai Docs + Bitcoin)
HEALTH LIBERATION/SELF-LIBERATION SPECIAL OFFER:
Interested in your own AquaCure? Save $125 with coupon code “vonu“, and help support the P.A.Z.NIA Department of Health/Wellness at the same time!